Friday 31 December 2010

31st December

' Can You Imagine?
For example,what the trees do
not only in the lightening storms
or the watery dark of a summer's night
or under the white nets of winter
but now, and now,and now-whenever
we're not looking.Surely you can't imagine
they don't dance,from the root up,wishing
to travel a little,not cramped so much as wanting
a better view,or more sun,or just as avidly
more shade-surely you can't imagine they just
 stand there loving
 every minute of it, the birds or the emptiness,the dark rings
of the years slowly and without a sound
thickening,and nothing different unless the wind,
and then only in it's own mood,comes
to visit,surely you can't imagine
patience,and happiness,like that.'

Mary Oliver


As the year draws to a close there are some things that I want to say . It has been an extremely tough year and  the unconditional support of those around me has shown me how much I am valued and loved (especially when the chips are down).

My mum encouraged me to start this blog and it has provided me with a hundred reasons to get out and about and really explore my local countryside.Milo has been my incentive to walk and walk and walk.... and those around me who I love dearly the reason to come back.

 My interest (now an obsession admittedly) with fungi and mushrooms started in September when I was on a usual walk in the woods with Milo;  because my head was bent in thought I was looking at the ground intently rather than the trees. I began to notice and really see for the first time the fungi that surrounded me and my interest was awakened. I can recall texting my mum at regular intervals to update her on how many species I had seen. I was furious with myself that I didn't have my camera. Needless to say I was back the following evening with my camera and mum in tow and the rest is history. I am delighted too that Frankie ( 9) is a nature bod and she surprised me last week when she spotted some fungi poking through the snow saying 'ooh mum,look Dead Man's Fingers'.That was a very special moment.
 Mum thankfully shares my interest and shows incredible patience if she is with me when I am scrabbling about in the mud and leaf litter on my belly to get a few shots. I am hoping this year for a wet summer so that I can begin my quest again with a little experience behind me.

As for New Years Eve, I am thankful that I have a cold providing  me with  the perfect excuse to turn off my mobile and sink into oblivion around 10.30pm.

I shall leave you with one final quote 

'I can scarcely wait for tomorrow
when a new life begins for me,
as it does each day,
as it does each day.

 The Round  Stanley Kunitz

No comments:

Post a Comment